Verdur is derived from the Portuguese word ‘verduras’ meaning vegetables. The Goan red pumpkin verdur is cooked only on special occasions in Goa. But with this easy-to-do recipe, I’m sure you can find occasion to cook up this dish.
Serves : A Family of Four
Prep. Time : 20 Mins.
Cooking Time : 25 Mins.
- Red Pumpkin – 600 gms. (peel and cut)
- Prawns (cleaned and deveined) – 250 gms.
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 10 cloves
- Green Chillies (deseeded and slit) – 4
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
- Warm Water – 1 ½ to 2 cups
For the Masala:
- Freshly Grated Coconut – 1 small
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Pepper Corns – 1 tsp.
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Corriander Seeds – 1 ½ tsp.
- Turmeric – ½ tsp.
- Garlic – 2 cloves.
Step 1: Apply ½ tsp. salt to the pumpkin pieces and ½ tsp. to the prawns and leave aside.
Step 2: Grind the ingredients for the masala and extract the spiced coconut milk (see method). Use 1 cup water for the 1st extract (thick) and 2 cups for the second extract (thin).
Step 3: Heat the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute. Next add three green chillies and sauté for another minute. Throw in the onion and sauté till translucent. Add the pumpkin and sauté for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Add the thin coconut milk and ½ tsp. salt. Cover and cook on low heat till the pumpkin is fork tender.
Step 5: Add the prawns and sugar and cook covered for 2 minutes.
Step 6: Lastly, add the thick coconut milk and the chilly and let it simmer uncovered on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
Your creamy Verdur is ready. Serve hot with hot rice. Tastes equally good with pao or sannas.
- Dried prawns can be used instead of fresh ones. In such case, soak in warm water for 20 minutes. Drain and add the prawns to step three before adding the green chillies.
- Other vegetables you can use: Cauliflower (florets), Cabbage (chunks), Raw Papaya or Bottle Gourd