The Cheesy Chicken Pie is a complete meal. It is layered with a chicken filling, white sauce, potatoes and topped with Cheddar Cheese. It is absolutely yummy and it will tease your gustatory system. Guaranteed ! (For more pie recipes, click here)
Serves: 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 40 Mins
Baking Time: 40 to 45 Mins
- For the Chicken Filling:
- Chicken (boneless breast, small cubes) – 400 gms (check notes)
- Onion (finely chopped) – 3 medium
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 medium
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 8 small cloves
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 4
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ to 1 tsp.
- Bancal or Wooster Sauce – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Ketchup – 1 tbsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- For the White Sauce:
- Maida [APF] – 2 tbsp.
- Milk – 500 ml
- Butter – 2 tbsp.
- Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- Potato Layer:
- Potatoes – 3 medium
- Salt – 1 tbsp.
- Cheddar Cheese Slices – 5 (check notes)
- Egg – 1
- Butter – 1 tsp.
- Salt – a pinch
The Chicken Filling:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and saute the onion, garlic and green chillies on medium heat till the onion turns pink.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add the chicken and ½ tsp. salt and saute till the chicken changes colour (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Now add the Bancal sauce, ½ tsp. black pepper and cook for another 3 minutes till the mixture is almost dry.
- Add the ketchup and cook for a minute.
- Keep aside.
The White Sauce:
- Melt the 2 tbsp. butter in a pan.
- Add the maida and cook for a minute on medium heat till a roux is formed.
- Add the milk and cook whilst stirring continuously with a whisk till the sauce thickens and a smooth sauce is formed.
- Season with ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Take off heat and keep aside.
- Peel the potatoes and place in water to avoid discolouring.
- Take each potato and cut into ½ cm thick slices as seen in the picture below and keep them back in the water.
- Bring 1000 ml water to a boil and add the 1 tbsp. salt to it.
- Add the potatoes and boil till the potatoes are cooked but not mashy.
- Drain and keep aside.
Assembling the Pie:
- Whisk the egg with a pinch of salt.
- Set your oven to pre-heat at 200° C
- Grease a glass baking dish with the 1 tsp. of butter.
- Place a layer of potatoes in the baking dish.
- Next, put in the chicken filling and spread evenly.
- Use the white sauce to cover the layer of the chicken filling.
- Use the remaining slices of potatoes and place over the sauce layer.
- Pour you whisked eggs over the potatoes.
- Break you cheese slices into pieces and spread all over the pie.
- Bake the pie at 180° C for 40 to 45 minutes till all the cheese melts and browns slightly.
- You can use chicken mince instead of whole chicken.
- You can use grated cheese instead of the cheese slices.