A combination of Indian spices goes into making of this Whole Grilled Chicken. The dish can be your table centerpiece at your family celebrations. It can also be served as nibbles with drinks. And the best part is that you can make the famed and dear to all dish, Butter Chicken, using this Whole Grilled Chicken. (Click here for the recipe of Butter Chicken)
Serves: 6 to 8 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins + Marination
Baking Time: 55 to 60 Mins
- Whole Chicken (skinless, offal removed) – 1 kg
- For the Spice Powder:
- Corriander Seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper Corns – ¼ tsp.
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Black Cardamom – ½ (optional)
- Cloves – 2
- Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Mace – ½ piece
- Fenugreek Seeds – 6 grains
- Star Anise (seeds removed) – 4 petals
- Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp.
- Spicy Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Dry Ginger Powder – ¼ tsp. (optional)
- Citric Acid – a few crystals
- Black Salt – ½ tsp.
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Orange Food Colour – a pinch / drop
- Chaat Masala – 1 tsp. (optional)
- Lime – 1
- Curds (thick) – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Butter (melted) – for basting
- Salt – ½ tsp.
Step 1: Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds on low heat till fragrant. Then transfer to a plate.
Step 2: Next roast the black pepper, cinnamon, green and black cardamom, cloves, mace and star anise for a few seconds and transfer to the same plate. Allow all the spices to cool down and then grind them along with the remaining spice powders till finely powdered.
Step 3: Wash and drain the chicken well and make deep gashes as shown in the picture. Then wipe the chicken dry with kitchen paper towels.
Step 4: Take the ginger-garlic paste, curds, mustard oil, juice of the lime, salt and the powdered spices in a bowl. Add the orange food colour and use a whisk and mix well till it all comes together.
Step 5: Marinate the chicken with the above for 12 to 24 hours (cover with cling film and refrigerate).
Step 6: Remove the chicken out of the refrigerator, one hour before you are ready to grill / roast it.
Step 7: Set your oven to pre-heat at 180° C for 15 minutes.
Step 8: Remove excess marinade off the chicken, tie its legs and tuck the wings behind and place on a grill rack in center of the oven. Roast at 180° C for 30 minutes.
Step 9: After 30 minutes, baste with the butter and turn the chicken over and then baste the other side. Roast for another 10 minutes.
Step 10: After 10 minutes, redo the basting and turning over of the chicken. Roast for another 10 minutes.
Step 11: Once again baste the chicken on both sides and then shift the chicken to the rack nearest to the top of the oven. Grill for 10 to 15 minutes till it edges brown slightly.
Cut into pieces and sprinkle chaat masala (optional) and serve hot.
- Only ½ tsp. salt is used because black salt is also used.
- The pictures show spices used for 2 whole chickens while the recipe is for one.