This vegetable is minimalistic in nature and does not take away anything from the core ingredients. The doodhi channa bhaji can be added to any meal to enrich it with both soluble and insoluble fibre. It is very low in calories and weight watchers can indulge without feeling guilty.
Serves : A Family of Four
Prep. Time : 15 Mins.
Cooking Time : 18 to 20 Mins. (active)
- Bottle Gourd [Doodhi/Lauki] (peeled and chopped) – 500 gms
- Chana Dal [Split Chick Pea] (soaked for 1 hour) – 2 tbsp.
- Green Chillies (cut lengthwise) – 2
- Freshly Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp.
- A pinch of turmeric (Optional)
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt – ½ tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Heat oil and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the onion. Sauté for a minute, drain the dal and add it to the pan. Sauté for another minute.
Step 2: Add the gourd, green chillies, turmeric and salt. Cover with a raised edge lid and put some water on it. Let it cook on low heat for 10-12 minutes. (There is no need to add water to the gourd as it already has a high water content)
Step 3: Season with sugar. Add the coconut and cook covered on low heat for a further 2 minutes.
Serve with chappatis or as a side dish with rice