The Prawn Ball Curry is a fun way of eating prawns. However, I must warn you that the flavours in the Prawn Balls are more pronounced. But if you are an avid seafood fan, you will love it.
Serves: 6 to 8 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins.
Cooking Time: 12 to 15 Mins.
[ Standard Measure : 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Prawns – 300 to 500 gms (cleaned & deveined)
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium + 1 small
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 1 to 2
- For the Masala Paste :
- Coconut (freshly grated) – 1 ½ cup
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tbsp.
- Xacuti Masala Powder (see here) – 2 tbsp.
- Corriander Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Tamarind – 1 small marble sized ball (soaked in ¼ cup water)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Coconut Vinegar – 2 tbsp.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tsp. or to taste.
Step 1: Apply 1 tsp. Salt and ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder to the cleaned & deveined prawns and keep aside (I used 500 gms which yielded about 30 small balls).
Step 2: Grind the ingredients for the masala paste to a fine smooth paste using 1 ½ cups water.
Step 3: Cut the prawns into small bits and grind / mince them to a paste with 2 tbsp. Coconut Vinegar.
Step 4: Add 1 small finely chopped onion to the prawn paste and mix. Then apply oil to your palms and shape the paste into small balls.
Step 5: Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan and add the medium chopped onion. Saute till soft on medium heat.
Step 6: Add the chopped tomato and saute till soft on medium heat. Next add the chopped green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
Step 6: Add the ground masala paste, 2 ½ cups hot water and 1 tsp. salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
Step 7: Add the prawn balls into the simmering gravy and give the vessel a swirl. Check for salt and add if required. Cook covered on low heat for another 10 minutes.
Watch the Video
I made it…so delicious! Thank you. Love your receipes!