Tired of eating chicken in various curries or dry preps – Then try your hand at the Chicken Meatball Chilly Fry. It is rather simple and quick to make and tastes yum. It can be served as an appetizer or a side at dinner.
Serves: 8 to 10 Persons
Prep. Time: 20 Mins.
Cooking Time: 35 Mins.
[ Standard Measure : 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- For the Meatballs:
- Boneless Chicken Breast (finely diced) – 500 gm
- Fresh Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tsp.
- Red Chilly Flakes – 2 tsp.
- Bread Slices (crust trimmed and ground) – 2
- Egg – 1
- Black Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Baking Powder – a pinch
- Oil – to deep fry
- Salt – ½ tsp. or to taste
- Onions (finely chopped) – 4 medium
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 3 medium
- Green Chillies (cut into slants) – 3
- Green Corriander (finely chopped) – ¼ cup
- Lime – 1 medium
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Red Chilly Flakes – 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp.
- Salt – ¼ tsp or to taste
Preparing the Meatballs:
Step 1: Grind the chicken pieces with the fresh bread crumbs and transfer to a bowl. Add salt, the egg, red chilly flakes, baking powder, garam masala powder and the pepper powder and mix well.
Step 2: Form the chicken mince into small lime sized balls using your clean palms (wet your hands whilst forming the balls).
Step 3: Deep fry the balls till light golden and then drain and place on paper towels to remove excess oil (Tip: Fry one ball and taste for seasoning and add if needed)
Making the Chilly Fry:
Step 4: Heat the 3 to 4 tbsp. of oil in a pan. Splutter the cumin seeds and then add the onions and fry on medium heat till translucent.
Step 5: Next add the tomatoes and ¼ tsp. salt and cook till they turn soft. Add half the green corriander and the turmeric powder and mix well.
Step 6: Now add the meatballs, the garam masala powder and the chilly flakes and mix again. Add ½ cup hot water, the green chillies and the lime juice and cook covered on high heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook on medium high heat till all the liquid dries up.