The Goan red chicken curry does not use any coconut. It makes use of whole spices, chillies and a tamarind-vinegar combination . The curry turns out mildly spicy and tangy.
Serves: A Family of Four
Prep. Time: 15 Mins. + 30 Mins. (marination)
Cooking Time: 45 to 50 Mins.
- Chicken (on the bone) – 500 gms.
- Onion (sliced) – 1 medium
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2 to 3 (optional)
- Garlic (peeled & finely chopped) – 2 to 3 cloves
- Fresh Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tsp.
- Tamarind (soaked in 100 ml. warm water) – 1 small marble sized ball
- To be Ground Fine:
- Kashmiri Red Chillies (deseeded) – 3 to 4
- Bedgi Red Chillies – 2
- Black Pepper Corns – ½ tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp.
- Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tsp.
Step 1: Clean and cut the chicken into pieces as required. Wash and drain well. Apply ½ tsp. salt, ginger-garlic paste and leave aside for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the chopped garlic and sauté for a few seconds on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté till light golden.
Step 3: Put the chicken into the pan, mix and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes while stirring in between. When the chicken has changed colour add the ground spice powder and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add 200 ml. warm water, vinegar and cook covered on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes till the chicken in ¾ done.
Step 5: Mash, pulp and strain the tamarind pulp into the pan. Add the green chillies and cook covered for a further 8 to 10 minutes on low heat.
- You can also add peeled and diced potatoes at step 3.