Beetroots in a sweet dish? Yes. Try the Beetroot Halwa and please all your loved ones. Serve the Beetroot Halwa hot or serve cold.
Serves : 4 persons
Prep. Time : 10 Mins.
Cooking Time : 15 Mins.
- Beetroot (peeled and grated coarsely) – 600 gms.
- Sugar – 5 tbsp.
- Mava [Khoya / Khava] (crumbled) – 200 gms.
- Pure Ghee – 4 tbsp.
- Green Cardamom (powdered) – 6 to 8
- Almonds (blanched and sliced) – 10 to 12
Step 1: Pressure cook the grated beetroot and sugar with 50 ml of water on high heat till three whistles go. Take off the heat and open the lid immediately.
Step 2: Place the open pan on low heat and add the mawa, ghee and powdered cardamom and mix well. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes on low heat. You may feel it is wet, but it will thicken on standing.
Step 3: Take off the heat, sprinkle the nuts and you are ready to serve.
Step 4: (optional) If serving on Valentine’s Day, cool the halva in the refrigerator and then use moulds to make heart shaped pieces.
- Alternate to blanching the almonds is soaking the same in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes and then peel and slice.