Recheio is the Portuguese word for stuffing. Stuffing fish with a recheio and then frying is practised regularly in Goan Cuisine. The spicy and tangy recheado masala is mostly used to make Mackerel Recheado.
Serves: 2 to 4 Persons
Prep. Time: 10 Mins. + 15 Mins. (marination)
Cooking Time: 20 Mins.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml ]
- Mackerels [Bangda] – 4 large
- Red Chilly Powder – ½ tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Lime – 1 small
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
- For the Stuffing:
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 small
- Maida [APF] – ½ cup or as required
- Oil – 4 tbsp.
Step 1: Clean and slit the mackerels on either side of the bone.
Step 2: Marinate in a mixture of 1 tsp. salt, turmeric and chilli powders and lime juice for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 3: Take the recheado masala in a bowl and add the finely chopped onion and mix well (taste the paste for seasoning and add if required).
Step 4: Stuff each mackerel with 1 to 1 ½ tbsp. of the stuffing and then coat the sides with maida.
Step 6: Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the mackerel on both sides till light brown. Serve hot with steamed rice and curry.
- Use a non-stick pan.
- To check if one side is done shake the pan and see if the fish slides.
- You can use rice flour, corn flour or semolina to coat the mackerels or just fry them without any coating.
- I have used the version 3 masala for this recipe.