The Prawn Pulao made with fresh prawns and Basmati rice is delectable and delicious, yet mildly spiced pulao. It is a favourite with my boys because of its mild and tasty flavor. Whenever I prepare this they eat more than they usually do 🙂
Serves: 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins
Cooking Time: 40 to 45 Mins
[ Standard Measure : 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Prawns (medium, cleaned & deveined) – 350 gms
- Basmati Rice – 2 ½ cups
- Onion (sliced) – 4 medium
- Tomatoes (sliced) – 3 to 4 medium
- Ginger-Garlic Paste (freshly made) – 2 tbsp.
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2 to 4
- Corriander Leaves (chopped) – ½ cup + for garnish
- Mint Leaves (chopped) – ½ cup
- Cloves – 9
- Cinnamon – 3 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Bay Leaves – 2 to 3
- Chilly Powder – ½ tsp.
- Corriander Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Stock Cube (veg) – 1 small
- Lemon Juice – of ½ lime
- Curds (lightly beaten) – ½ cup
- Pure Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Oil – 6 tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tsp. or to taste.
Step 1: Apply ½ tsp. salt to the prawns and leave aside.
Step 2: Wash the rice gently and soak in adequate water for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Heat oil in a non-stick or heavy bottom vessel. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaves. Sauté on low heat for 30 seconds. Then add the onions and sauté on medium heat till light golden.
Step 4: Add the slit chillies and sauté for a few seconds. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Next add the tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
Step 5: Now add the corriander, turmeric and red chilly powders and mix for a minute on low heat. Add the prawns and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Step 6: Next add the curds, corriander and mint leaves and give a mix. Drain and add the rice and mix lightly. Add 6 ½ cups hot water, the lime juice, the crushed stock cube and salt. Mix lightly and taste for salt. Add if required. Cover the vessel and cook on low heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
Step 7: When the rice is almost cooked and there is a little moisture left, add the ghee and continue cooking covered for another 5 to 6 minutes. Garnish with chopped corriander and serve hot.
- For every cup of rice use 2 ½ cups hot water.