Coconut Sugarcane Jaggery Filling is called chunn in Goa and can be used to stuff a variety of Goan sweets like patoleos, holles, sweet sannas, etc. and also pancakes. It is very easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days at 4° c and below and used as required to make the pancakes as an evening snack.
Prep. Time: 15 Mins.
Cooking Time: 4 Mins.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Coconut (semi-ripe, freshly grated) – 1 cup
- Sugarcane Jaggery (powdered/grated) – ½ cup
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp. or to taste
- Salt – a small pinch
Step 1: Take the sugarcane jaggery and the grated coconut in a non-stick pan. Place on low heat and cook while stirring till the jaggery melts.
Step 2: Take off the heat immediately after the jaggery has all melted and add the salt and cardamom powder and mix well. Allow to cool before storing or using.
- Always cook on low heat. Do not cook for a long time.
- Try and use only semi-ripe coconut. If you can’t get your hands on some and are using a ripe coconut, add a tbsp. or two of water to add to the moisture.
- I’ve used organic sugarcane jaggery powder.