Goan Green Beef Mince incorporates beef mince and green corriander as the main ingredients. It has a delectable flavour which is sweet, sour and spicy as well and none of the flavours overpower each other. It can be eaten with rice or pao.
Serves: A Family of Four
Prep. Time: 20 Mins + 30 Mins. (marination)
Cooking Time: 25 Mins. (active) + 35 Mins. (passive)
- Fine Beef Mince – 500 gms.
- Onions (finely chopped) – 4 medium
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 medium
- Green Peas (frozen) – ¼ cup
- Potatoes (cut into small pieces) – 1 medium
- Lime – 1 medium
- Tamarind – 1 marble sized ball (soaked in ¼ cup hot water)
- Garlic (with skin) – 8 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green Chillies – 2 to 3
- Green Corriander (with stalks – chopped) – 2 cups tightly packed (1 medium bunch)
- Cinnamon – 1 ½ inch
- Cloves – 12
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Black Pepper Corns – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Oil – 3 tbsp.
- Stock Cube (crushed) – 1 small (optional)
- Sugar – 1 tsp. + 1 tsp. (optional)
- Salt – 2 tsp.
Step 1: Wash the mince and drain well using a fine mesh strainer. Apply turmeric, salt and lime juice and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Grind the ingredients listed under masala to a fine paste using a little water and keep aside. Add ½ cup warm water to the mixer jar, pulse and keep the masala water aside.
Step 3: Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions with 1 tsp. of sugar, on medium heat, till the onions are light golden. Add the tomatoes. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. When done the tomatoes should be well cooked and you should see the oil that has separated.
Step 4: Add the ground masala paste and 1 tsp. sugar (optional) to the onion-tomato mixture in the pan. Sauté for a minute. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir once in between.
Step 5: Next, add the mince and mix well for 10 minutes on medium heat, so that there are no lumps of mince remain. Add the peas, potatoes, the ‘masala water’ and the stock cube (optional). Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
Step 6: Pulp and strain the tamarind into the pan. Check for seasoning and add if required. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.