Recheio is the Portuguese word for stuffing. Stuffing fish with a recheio and then frying is practised regularly in Goan Cuisine. The spicy and tangy recheado masala is mostly used to make Mackerel Recheado. But it tastes awesomely good with pomfret also. So if you get your hand on some fresh pomfrets try the Pomfret Recheado.
Serves: 2 to 4 Persons
Prep. Time: 10 Mins. + 15 Mins. (marination)
Cooking Time: 20 Mins.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml ]
- Pomfrets – 3 medium
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Lime – 1 big
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 small
- Maida [APF] – ½ cup or as required
- Oil – 4 tbsp.
Step 1: Clean and slit the pomfrets on either side of the bone.
Step 2: Marinate in a mixture of 1 tsp. salt, turmeric and chilli powders and lime juice for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 3: Take the recheado masala in a bowl and add the finely chopped onion and mix well (taste the paste for seasoning and add if required).
Step 4: Stuff each pomfret with 1 to 1 ½ tbsp. of the stuffing and then coat the sides with maida.
Step 6: Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the pomfret on both sides till light brown. Serve hot with steamed rice and curry.
- Use a non-stick pan.
- To check if one side is done shake the pan and see if the fish slides.
- You can use rice flour, corn flour or semolina to coat the pomfrets or just fry them without any coating.
- I have used the version 3 masala for the stuffing.
Leave a Reply