Tisryo Corop is a Goan Shell-Fish / Clam curry. It is very simple and quick to make. It is similar to the Goan Crab Curry and equally delectable. All you need are some fresh meaty clams to make this delicious curry.
Serves: A Family of Four
Prep. Time: 30 Mins.
Cooking Time: 35 Mins.
[Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml ]
- Tisryo [Clams] – 50 small
- Onion (finely chopped) – 2 medium
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 medium
- For the Masala Paste:
- Coconut (grated) – ½ cup
- Corriander Seeds – ½ tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Black Pepper Corns – ½ tsp.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 3 to 4
- Light Green Chillies – 2
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Tamarind (soaked in ½ cup hot water) – 1 lime sized ball
- Veg Stock Cube – 1 (optional)
- Sugar – ½ tsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
Step 1: Wash the clams thoroughly to remove all sand or dirt particles. Slit them open leaving the meat on one half of the shell. Discard the other half (see note below).
Step 2: Grind the ingredients for the masala into a fine paste using little water.
Step 3: Heat 2 tbsp. oil, add the onions and sauté on medium heat till soft. Next add the tomatoes and sauté till soft (about 8 to 10 minutes)
Step 4: Add the ground masala paste and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes on low heat. Next add the clams with any juices that they have released on opening them and mix lightly. Add ¼ cup warm water, salt, sugar and the crumbled stock cube (optional). Mash and strain the tamarind water into the pan. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- There are various ways we can open the clam shells.
- You can try opening them raw if you are adept.
- You could place them in the freezer overnight and shock them open.
- You can also steam them with very little water for 5 minutes.