Verdur is derived from the Portuguese word ‘verduras’ meaning vegetables. Dry Prawns add flavour to the preparation. With this simple to make recipe, I’m sure you’ll want to try out the Dry Prawn & Red Pumpkin Verdur.
Serves : A Family of Four
Prep. Time : 20 Mins.
Cooking Time : 25 Mins.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Red Pumpkin (peeled & cut to medium cubes) – 600 gms.
- Dry Prawns (head & tail removed) – ¼ cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 8 to 10 cloves (small)
- Light Green Chillies (slit) – 4
- For the Masala:
- Freshly Grated Coconut – 1 ½ cups (1 coconut)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Pepper Corns – 10 to 12
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – ½ inch
- Coriander Seeds – 1 ½ tsp.
- Turmeric – 1 tsp.
- Garlic – 2 cloves.
- Stock Cube (Veg.) – 1 small
- Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Apply ½ tsp. salt to the pumpkin pieces and leave aside. Wash and soak the prawns for 30 minutes in warm water.
Step 2: Grind the ingredients for the masala using 250 ml warm water and extract the thick spiced coconut milk (see here for method). Then add another 1 ½ to 2 cups water and extract the thin spiced coconut milk.
Step 3: Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and sauté for 30 seconds on medium heat. Add three of the slit green chillies and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the onions, ½ tsp. salt and sauté till translucent. Drain and add the dry prawns and saute for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and sauté for another 30 seconds.
Step 4: Add the thin spiced coconut milk, ½ tsp. salt and cook covered on low heat till the pumpkin is fork tender.
Step 5: Open the lid and add the sugar and the crushed veg stock cube and cook covered for 2 minutes. Check for salt and add if required.
Step 6: Finally, add the thick spiced coconut milk and the remaining slit green chilly and let the curry simmer uncovered on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
Your creamy Verdur is ready. Serve hot with hot rice. Tastes equally good with pao.
- Other vegetables you can use: Cauliflower (florets), Cabbage (chunks), Raw Papaya or Bottle Gourd