This is a short-cut, no-grind method to prepare the Red Pumpkin Prawn Verdur. Ideal to make when you are short of time and do not want to scrape or grind the coconut for the masala. It is a mildy spiced coconut milk curry that goes well with rice. (Click here for traditional Dry Prawn Pumkin Verdur or here for a version with breadfruit)
Serves: 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 15 to 20 Mins.
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 Mins.
[Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml]
- Red Pumpkin (peeled & cut into 2 inch pieces) – 500 to 600 gms
- Prawns (peeled & deveined) – ½ cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Tomato (blanched, peeled & chopped) – 1 large
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 inch
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 8 cloves
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 2
- Corriander Powder – 2 tsp.
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1 to 1 ½ tsp.
- Clove Powder – a small pinch
- Cinnamon Powder – a small pinch
- Coconut Milk Powder – see note below
- Sugar – ½ tsp.
- Veg Stock Cube – 1 small
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – 2 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Apply ½ tsp. salt each to the prawns and pumpkin pieces and keep aside.
Step 2: Mix the dhania, jeera, miri, haldi, lavang, tikki powders (corriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, clove and cinnamon powders) with 2 tbsp. water to form a thick spice paste and keep aside.
Step 3: Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies, on medium heat, till aromatic. Add the chopped onions and sauté till soft. Then add the tomato and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 4: Add the spice paste and sauté for a minute on low heat. Add 400 ml thin coconut milk and let it come to a boil. Stir in between. Then add the pumpkin pieces, sugar, crushed stock cube and salt and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes till the pumpkin pieces are almost done.
Step 5: Now add the prawns and cook for 2 minutes. Finally add the thick coconut milk and simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir occasionally and do not let the curry boil or it will curdle.
- Reconstitute the coconut milk powder according to the instructions on the packet to make 200 ml thick coconut milk and 400 ml thin coconut milk.
Leave a Reply