The Goan Green Coconut Chutney is primarily used to further coat buttered bread and make delicious green chutney sandwiches. The uses though are not limited and depends on your imagination. You can use it as a dip with fries or pakoras, use it to stuff paneer or potatoes. Hell, you can also eat it mixed with rice. Options unlimited 😀
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml.]
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Light Green Chillies – 3 to 4
- Green Corriander Leaves – 1 med bunch (1 ½ cups – chopped)
- Ginger – ¼ inch
- Cumin Seeds [Jeera] – ¼ tsp.
- Tamarind – 1 marble sized ball (soaked in 3 tbsp. warm water)
- Turmeric – a small pinch
- Sugar – 2 tbsp. or to taste
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Take the grated coconut in a mixer jar and grind for a minute in two or three bursts till fine.
Step 2: Pulp the tamarind, strain and add it to the mixer jar. Add three to four cubes of ice and the rest of the ingredients. Grind to a fine paste.
Step 2: Store the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator for later use as desired.
- Use only the leaves of the corriander.
- Make sure to grind in short bursts so that the jar does not heat up. The ice cubes also help to keep the temperature down and hence retain the awesome colour.
- Adjust salt and sugar to your taste.