Mangaane is a Goan sweet porridge made with sago and split chickpeas. Coconut milk provides it its rich flavor while it is sweeted with sugarcane jaggery. Though it is prepared during festivities, I bet you’ll cook it more often cause it tastes just super.
Serves: 8 to 10 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins
Cooking Time: About 60 Mins
[Standard Measure : 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Split Chickpeas [Chana Dal] – ½ cup
- Sago [Sabudana] – 3 tbsp.
- Cashew Nuts (broken) – 10 to 12
- Coconut Milk
- Thin – 3 cups
- Thick – ½ cup
- Sugarcane Jaggery – ½ cup
- Cardamom Powder –
- Sugar – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – ¼ tsp. + a pinch
Step 1: Wash and soak the chana dal and the sago separately in water for 20 mins. Also soak the cashew nuts in hot water.
Step 2: Later cook the dal with 2 cups water and ¼ tsp. salt till the dal is soft but not mashy. Remove the scum and discard. Also cook the sago separately with 1 cup water till transparent.
Step 3: Add the sago to the dal. Then add the thin coconut milk and bring to a boil on medium heat. When it starts boiling, drain and add the cashew nuts, the jaggery and a pinch of salt. Mix and cook on low heat till the mixture thickens.
Step 4: Finally add the cardamom powder and the thick coconut milk and cook on low heat from 5 to 6 minutes. Switch off the heat and serve warm or chilled.
- You can also use canned coconut milk. If so, keep aside ½ cup coconut milk (for thick milk) and dilute 1 ½ cup canned coconut milk with 1 ½ cup water for the thin coconut milk.