The Fresh Coconut Cashew Cookies are inspired by the Rava Cashewnut Doce (see here). I felt the ingredients with slight adjustments could also be good enough to bake. The resultant cookie was something in between the Bolinhas (see here) and the Dessicated Coconut Cookies(see here). But importantly and as always this too is super easy peasy.
Yield: 18 Cookies
Prep. Time: 30 Mins and Soaking
Baking Time: 20 Mins
- Semolina [Rava](fine) – 100 gms
- Fresh Coconut (grated) – 60 gms
- Cashew Nuts (powdered) – 60 gms
- Sugar (fine granules) OR Castor Sugar – 125 gms
- Cashew Nut Pieces – to decorate
- Egg Yolks – 3
- Butter – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – a pinch
Step 1: Take the sugar and 2 egg yolks in a bowl and whisk for 2 minutes. Then add the 3rdyolk and whisk till the sugar dissolves and the mixture is creamy.
Step 2: Next add the semolina, coconut, powdered cashew nuts and a pinch of salt to the sugar-yolk mixture and mix slightly. Add the butter and mix again.
Step 3: Leave this mixture for 6 to 8 hours outside or overnight in the refrigerator.
Step 4: Next day when ready to bake, bring the mixture to room temperature (if placed in the refrigerator).
Step 5: Set your oven to pre-heat at 200° C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper / foil.
Step 6: Divide your mixture into 18 equal balls and place on the tray. Press a piece of cashew nut at the center of each ball. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
- Do not attempt to remove the cookies when hot. Let the cookies cool completely and then use a flat spatula to scoop them off the parchment paper.
- You can also use almond meal instead of the cashew.