The recipe of the Rawa Cashewnut Coconut Doce is inspired by the Goan Doce (a sweet prepared with chana dal, coconut and sugar). The semolina (rawa) and cashewnut powder replaces the chana dal in this recipe. It is quicker and easier to make and has a rich taste.
Yield: 650 gms
Prep. Time: 10 Mins.
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 Mins.
- Rawa [Semolina] (see note) – ½ cup
- Fresh Coconut (grated) – ½ cup
- Cashewnut Powder – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 ¼ cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Liquid Food Colour (green) – a few drops
- Pure Ghee (see note) – ½ cup
Step 1: Put the rawa, coconut, cashewnut powder, ghee, milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed / non-stick pan. Cook on medium low heat whilst stirring continuously till the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan and enters the soft ball stage (see note below).
Step 2: Add the food colour and cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into a tray (8 x 8 x ½ inch) and allow to set for 10 to 12 minutes. Later cut into diamond shapes and leave outside to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. (To cut into diamond shape, see the pictures)
- I’ve used ready to use pre-roasted rawa available in branded packaging. It’s better to use as it does not turn sticky.
- Pure ghee is an essential ingredient that gives the sweet its yummy flavour. Hence I have not used any essence. Please do not use vanaspati / dalda / hydrogenated vegetable oil !
- To test if your mixture has entered the soft ball stage, take some water in a bowl and drop a teaspoon full of the mixture into the water. The mixture should firm up and form a ball. It should not disintegrate. This is known as the soft ball stage.