The Quick Chicken Xacuti is a little less tedious to make then the Traditional Chicken Xacuti (click here). It uses ready Xacuti Masala Powder which most Goan homes have ready (if you don’t have one, click here). There are less steps involved to make the Quick Chicken Xacuti and yet I feel it tastes better than the traditional one as everything is cooked together. In fact, my children just gulp it down with rice.
Serves: 4 to 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins.
Cooking Time: 40 to 45 Mins.
[ Standard Measure: 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Chicken Pieces (on the bone) – 500 gms
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- For the Green Masala Paste (to be ground to a fine paste):
- Green Corriander – ½ cup
- Green Chillies – 2 to 3
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Garlic – 8 cloves
- Coconut (fresh, grated) – 1 ½ cup
- Onion (sliced) – 1 medium
- Onion (chopped fine) – 1 medium
- Potatoes (peeled, cubed) – 2 small
- Corriander Leaves (chopped fine) – to garnish
- Tamarind (soaked in ¼ cup water) – marble sized ball
- Xacuti Masala Powder (click here) – 2 to 4 tbsp.
- Stock Cube – 1 (optional)
- Oil – 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste.
Step 1: Wash and drain the chicken well. Marinate with 1 tsp. salt, turmeric powder and the green masala paste for at least an hour.
Step 2: Roast the sliced onion and coconut using 1 tsp. oil on medium heat till lightly browned. Cool and then grind coarsely using a little water. Keep aside.
Step 3: Heat 2 tbsp. oil and sauté the chopped onion on medium heat till soft. Add the marinated chicken, cubed potatoes and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 4: Now add the ground coconut paste, xacuti masala powder (The xacuti masala powder specified varies because of the type you may have. At first add 2 tbsp. and then increase if required). Mix well and add 2 cups of hot water and the stock cube. Cook covered for 15 minutes on medium low heat.
Step 5: Later check for salt and add if needed. Also add the strained tamarind pulp and cook further for another 10 to 15 minutes till the chicken and potatoes are well cooked. Garnish with green corriander.
I tried this recipe for Easter lunch. It was super easy to make n delicious. Thank you
Thanks so much Josephine.