Button Mushrooms are available all throughout the year and this recipe shows you how to make a quick cutlet. Almya or Mushrooms can be a good source of vitamin B along with essential minerals such as copper and potassium. Dangar or Cutlets are a fun way to introduce mushrooms in your kids diet. Even adults will enjoy the Goan almyache dangar / mushroom cutlets and its health benefits.
Yield: 8 Pieces
Prep. Time: 15 Mins.
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 Mins.
- Button Mushrooms – 200 gms.
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Green Chilli (finely chopped) – 1
- Green Corriander Leaves (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp.
- Potato (boiled & Grated) – 1 medium to big
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 4 cloves
- Ginger (finely chopped) – ½ inch
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp.
- Corriander Powder – ½ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp.
- Bread Slice – ½
- Fine Rice Flour – 3 to 4 tbsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp. + for shallow frying
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Clean the mushrooms with a clean cloth or kitchen towels. Chop them into not very small pieces and apply ½ tsp. salt to the pieces and keep aside.
Step 2: Meanwhile, heat a tbsp. of oil and add the garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute on medium heat. Then add the green chillies and sauté for a few seconds. Add the onions and sauté till the onions turn soft.
Step 3: Next add the tomato and continue cooking on medium heat till the tomato is cooked. Throw in the mushrooms and sauté till the water released by them dries up (around 6 to 8 minutes).
Step 4: Add all the powdered masalas and sauté for a minute or two. Switch off the heat and allow this mixture to cool.
Step 5: When cooled, add the grated potatoes to the mushroom mixture. Grind the piece of bread to get fresh breadcrumbs and add to the mixture. Also add the chopped green corriander and mix all the ingredients well.
Step 6: Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions / balls. Flatten each in the palm of your hand to shape the cutlets.
Step 7: Coat each cutlet with the rice flour. Shallow fry the cutlets on medium heat four at a time on a hot pan with liberal use of oil. Fry on both sides till golden and crisp. (about 2 minutes on each side).
Step 8: Remove from the pan and drain the excess oil on a plate lined with kitchen towels. Serve with ketchup.