A strengthening soup, the Caldo de Galinha which means broth of chicken is very good to drink on cold winter evenings. You can sit in the comforts of you home sipping on the soup while watching some light entertainment.
Serves: 6 to 8 Persons
Prep. Time: 15 Mins.
Cooking Time: 60 to 70 Mins.
- Chicken (on the bone – cleaned and chopped into small pieces) – 600 gms.
- Onion (chopped roughly) – 2 medium
- Tomato (chopped roughly) – 1 large
- Ginger (chopped) – ½ inch
- Corriander Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Black Pepper Corns – 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Bay Leaf – 1 (optional)
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Put all the ingredients in a soup pot and pour 1 ½ litres water into the pot. Bring to a boil on high heat. Then lower the heat and continue cooking semi-covered on low heat for 45 to 60 minutes till the liquid is reduced to 1 litre. Occasionally, in between, skim the foam that forms on the top.
Step 2: When the liquid has reduced as desired, strain the mixture into another pot. The clear broth should be served hot. You can also shred the chicken and add it to your soup if you so desire.