This is a simple beetroot stir fry which can be enjoyed as a side dish with rice or by itself with chappatis.
Serves: 2 Persons
Prep. Time: 10 Mins.
Cooking Time: 15 Mins.
- Tender Beetroots – 2 medium (400 gms.)
- Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 2 to 3
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 8
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Hing [Asafoetida] – ¼ tsp.
- Salt – ¼ tsp.
- Oil – 1 to 1 ½ tbsp.
Step 1: Peel and dice the beets.
Step 2: Heat the oil in a pan and on medium heat, add the hing, followed by the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves and the green chillies. Sauté for a few seconds.
Step 3: Add the chopped beets and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3 to 4 tbsp. hot water, salt and cook covered on low heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and cook further to dry the vegetable if any liquid is left.
Step 4: Switch off the heat and add the grated coconut.
- I like the vegetable a tad undercooked and thus crunchy. Cook more if you desire it well done.