The vegetable pulao is considered as an alternative to serving plain rice at most parties, be it a kitty party or a wedding. It goes well with any other dish, be it a modest dal, a rich Indian gravy or even dry sides. It tastes just as good by itself.
Serves : A Family of Four
Prep. Time : 30 Mins…
Cooking Time : 35 Mins… (active)
- Cooked Basmati Rice (click here)- 1 Portion
- Cloves – 6
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stick
- Green Cardamon – 3
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Blanched Vegetables (click here):
- Carrot (cut into thin long strips) – 1
- Green Peas – ¼ cup
- Sweet Corn Kernels – 2 tbsp.
- Capsicum (cubed) – 1
- Onions (sliced) – 2
- Green Chillies (cut length wise) – 4
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tsp.
- Cashewnuts (broken into halves) – 6
- Pure Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Cottage Cheese – [Paneer] (cubed) – 100 gms… [Optional]
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Heat a pan on low heat. Add the ghee and oil. Add the cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom, bay leaves and the cashew nuts and sauteé for 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add the onions and fry till a light golden brown.
Step 3: Add the green chillies. Sauté for 10 seconds. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauteé till the raw smell disappears.
Step 4: Add the blanched vegetables, the capsicum. Season with salt. Stir-fry for 4 minutes.
Step 5: (Optional) Add the paneer and stir for a minute.
Step 6: Next add the rice and mix well on high heat. Lower the heat and cook covered for 5 minutes.
Serve with raita or a gravy of your choice. Though, it tastes yummy all by itself.