Coconut Cashewnut Filling or chunn as we call it in Goa, is one of the many types of fillings that are used to stuff pancakes. The filling can also be used to stuff other Goan sweets like patoleos, holles, sweet sannas, etc. The filling is easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days at 4° c and below.
Prep. Time: 15 Mins.
Cooking Time: 4 to 5 Mins. on low heat.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 250 ml ]
- Coconut (semi-ripe, freshly grated) – 1 cup
- Sugar (granulated) – ½ cup
- Cashew Nuts (chopped) – 8 to 10
- Vanilla Essence – 2 drops
- Liquid Food Colour (Rose Pink) – 2 to 3 drops
Step 1: Take the sugar and grated coconut in a non-stick pan. Mix it up and then place on low heat Cook while stirring till the sugar melts.
Step 2: Once the sugar melts, add the food colour and mix well. Take the pan off the heat. Then add the cashew nuts and vanilla essence and mix again. Allow to cool before using it as a stuffing.
- Always cook on low heat. Do not cook for a long time as the texture can change.
- Try and use only semi-ripe coconut. If you can’t get your hands on some and are using a ripe coconut, add a tbsp. or two of water to add to the moisture.
Can i use frozen coconut instead of freshly grated coconut??
Yes of course you can use frozen grated coconut.
Can u post a receipe on neureos . I tried many of your recipes and they have turned out brilliant. In fact the aroma that surrounds the kitchen is wonder full and I have neighbors across the garden asking what’s cooking… Something smells good. Thank you… Have a festive wonder season.
You are too kind Stanley. We try to be as accurate and true as possible with our recipes. We’ve not yet posted neureos as we both work full time and try to post whenever we have the time. Thus we started with the uncommon ones first. We’ll try and post soon.