The ever popular one pot meal, Biryani, when made with eggs is just as delicious. Eggs are the cheapest source of protein and this biryani is a good way to get your kids eat eggs.
Serves: 4 to 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 20 Mins.
Cooking Time: 35 to 40 Mins.
- Cooked Basmati Rice (see here)
- Hard Boiled Eggs – 6
- Onions (sliced) – 2 large
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 2 small
- Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder – ½ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp.
- Curds (whisked) – 4 tbsp.
- Lime – 1
- Birista (see here) – 2 large onions
- Kesar [Saffron] – 2 pinches (soaked in ¼ cup warm milk)
- Cashew Nuts (fried till light brown in a little oil) – for garnish
- Green Corriander Leaves (chopped) – for garnish
- Veg Stock Cube – 1 small (dissolved in ½ cup warm water)
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1.5 tsp or to taste
For the Masala:
- Green Corriander (with the stalk) – 1 cup
- Mint Leaves – ½ cup
- Green Chillies – 2 to 3
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Cashew Nuts – 5
Step 1: Grind the ingredients listed under masala, using a little water, to a fine paste.
Step 2: Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a frying pan. Add the sliced onions and fry till golden brown on medium heat. Next, add the masala paste and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and mix. Add the tomatoes,1 tsp salt and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes on low heat.
Step 3: Next add the whisked yoghurt and sauté for 2 minutes. Add ½ cup stock and cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Add the lime juice and mix. Check for seasoning and add if required.
Step 4: Transfer the gravy into a suitable flat vessel. Arrange the boiled eggs on the gravy. Next, spread the rice evenly. Dot with the saffron milk and ghee. Sprinkle some corriander leaves, birista and 3 tbsp. hot water. Seal with aluminium foil and place a lid on top.
Step 5: Heat a flat thick griddle pan. Place the vessel with the assembled biryani on the griddle and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on low heat.
Serve garnished with birista, corriander and cashew nuts.