One of the things that you could do when you get home a Pineapple that is a bit sour – Make a Pineapple Squash. Store the squash in the refrigerator. When your kid/s are back from play, throw in some ice cubes in a glass. Pour some squash and top with water. Done ! Done ! Thank You Mom !
Yield: 500 ml Concentrate
Prep. Time: 15 Mins.
Cooking Time: 30 to 35 Mins
- Pineapple (skinned, cubed) – 750 gms (cleaned)
- Sugar – 350 gms
- Citric Acid – ¼ tsp. (optional)
- Lemon Yellow Food Colour – 2 to 3 drops (optional)
Step 1: Take the pineapple chunks in a pressure cooker and add 250 ml water. Pressure cook on high heat for 5 to 6 whistles. Then switch off the heat and allow to cool (see notes below).
Step 2: When the pineapple has cooled, puree it along with the liquids. Take the puree in a bowl and add the food colour.
Step 3: Next take 200 ml water in another vessel and add the sugar. Let the sugar water come to a boil and let it continue boiling for 5 to 7 minutes on medium heat. Stir in between.
Step 4: Now add the pineapple puree, mix and let the mixture come to a boil again on medium heat.
Step 5: Add the citric acid and continue boiling for 2 to 3 minutes whilst stirring. Switch off the heat.
Step 6: Cool and strain using a fine mesh / coffee strainer. Bottle and store in the refrigerator.
- To cook the pineapple without pressure cooker – cook covered on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- You could skip straining the squash. But I feel it irritates the throat if it is not strained.
Leave a Reply