The prawn vindaloo is a mildly spiced curry which is easy and quick to make. It is a variant of the original Goan Vindaloo made to cater to people who do not eat p***. You can serve this curry with hot rice and fried fish.
Serves: A Family of Four
Prep. Time: 15 Mins. + 60 to 120 Mins. (marination)
Cooking Time: 20 Mins.
- Prawns (shelled & deveined – tail on) – 18 to 20 medium large
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Tomatoes (grated) – 2 small
- Potatoes (half boiled, skinned & cubed) – 2 small
- For the Masala Paste
- Kashmiri Red Chillies (deseeded) – 8 to 9
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Garlic – 6 small cloves
- Ginger – ½ inch
- Palm Vinegar – 3 to 4 tbsp.
- Sugar – ¼ tsp.
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Grind all the ingredients listed under masala paste using 2 tbsp. vinegar and a little water to a smooth paste. Rub the prawns with 1 tsp. salt and the ground masala paste and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
Step 2: Later, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions for 2 minutes on low heat till soft. Add the marinated prawns and sauté till they change colour (about 1 to 1 ½ minutes). Next, add 300 ml water, the boiled and chopped potatoes, 1 tbsp. vinegar, ½ tsp. salt and the sugar and cook covered on low heat for 5 minutes.
Step 3: After 5 minutes, add the grated tomatoes and cook covered on low heat for another 5 minutes. Check for salt and vinegar and add if required. Cook for a further 5 minutes.