Tomato Sorak is a plain coconut gravy along the lines of the Goan Sorak Curry (Click here). However, I use coconut milk in this recipe. Therefore, the texture of the gravy is smoother and creamier.
Serves: 6 to 8 Persons
Prep. Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 Mins
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 250 ml.]
- Tomatoes (Pref. Organic) – 3 to 4 quartered
- Onion (finely sliced) – 1 medium
- Light Green Chillies (slit) – 6 to 8
- For the Spiced Coconut Milk:
- Coconut (grated) – 1 medium
- Tamarind – 1 small marble sized ball
- Jeera [Cumin] Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Corriander Seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Kashmiri Chillies – 6 to 8
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp.
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – ½ to 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp.
Step 1: Sprinkle ½ tsp. salt on the quartered tomatoes and keep aside.
Step 2: Grind all the ingredients for the spiced coconut milk to a fine paste with 3 cups water. Extract the spiced coconut milk from the ground masala paste using a fine mesh sieve (click here for reference).
Step 3: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a vessel and fry the onion till soft. Add 4 of the green chillies and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the spiced coconut milk, sugar and 1 tsp. salt and bring it to a boil on medium heat.
Step 4: Once the curry comes to a boil, lower the heat and add the tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 5: Check for salt, add if required. Switch off the heat and garnish with the remaining green chillies. Keep covered for 5 minutes before serving.