The mildly spiced and creamy coconut milk Prawn & Drumstick Curry is a lip smacking curry. It is perfect to have with rice and you don’t even need a vegetable side as the curry already has the yummy drumsticks.
Serves: A Family of Four
Prep. Time: 20 Mins.
Cooking Time: 35 Mins.
[ Standard Measure – 1 cup = 250 ml.]
- Drumsticks (peeled, cut into 3 inch pieces) – 6
- Prawns (shelled, deveined) – ½ cup
- Onion (finely chopped) – 2 small
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2 to 3
- For the Spiced Coconut Milk:
- Coconut (grated) – 1 small ( 1 ½ cups )
- Tamarind – 1 small marble sized ball
- Jeera [Cumin] Seeds – ½ tsp.
- Corriander Seeds – 2 tsp.
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Kashmiri Chillies (deseeded) – 6 to 8
- Turmeric – 1 tsp.
- Oil – 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – ½ tsp.
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp.
Step 1: Apply ¼ tsp. salt to the cleaned prawns and leave aside.
Step 2: Grind all the ingredients for the coconut milk to a fine paste with 2 to 2 ½ cups water. Extract the spiced coconut milk from the ground masala paste using a fine mesh sieve (see here for help on extraction process).
Step 3: Take a vessel add ¾ cup water and add the cleaned drumstick pieces, ¼ tsp. salt and half of the chopped onion and cook covered on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes till the drumsticks are cooked.
Step 4: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a vessel and fry the remaining onion till soft on medium heat. Add the prawns and sauté for a minute. Add the cooked drumsticks. Then add the spiced coconut milk, sugar and 1 tsp. salt and cook on medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
Step 5: Check for salt, add if required. Switch off the heat and garnish with the green chillies. Keep covered for 15 minutes before serving.