Just at the beginning of the Mango season – when the mango trees are radiant with the raw green fruit – it is just about the time when people in all parts of India go about preserving the green mangoes in a variety of forms. These will then be eaten all through the year till the next season. One such way of preserving the fruit in Goa is by making Chepnim Tor / Goan Mangoes in Brine. You need to choose small baby mangoes in which the seed has not formed yet. It is very easy to make and all one needs is patience.
Serves: 40 pieces
Prep. Time: 30 Mins
Wait Time: 8 days
- Small Unripe Mangoes – 40
- Coarse Sea Salt – 2 cups
- Whole Turmeric – 3 inch piece
- Hing [Asoefoetida] (powdered) – ½ tsp.
- Dry Red Chillies [Bedgi] – 4 to 5
- Green Chillies – 4 to 5
Step 1: Keep some heavy stones ready. Wash and wipe the mangoes dry.
Step 2: Take a big zip-lock bag or similar strong bag and layer the mangoes and the salt in it. Throw in the hing, red and green chillies and the turmeric (see note below). Zip the bag and put it another bag to be safe that no liquids are leaked.
Step 3: Now place the bag in a large shallow container / dish / plate. Place another big plate on the mangoes, so that most of them are covered. Place a good amount of weight / stones on this lid and keep aside.
Step 4: Remove the weights every alternate day and turn the mangoes around. Continue for a total of eight days.
Step 5: After 8 days have passed, strain and reserve all the liquids and place the mangoes and chillies in a sterile glass / ceramic jar.
Step 6: Take the reserved liquids / brine and ½ cup water in a vessel and bring to a boil. Then switch off the heat and cool. Strain and pour this into the jars filled with mangoes.
- The mangoes must remain submerged in the brine while being stored. I they float, you will need to place some clean weight (like pebbles) on them to keep them submerged.
- Although you can eat the Chepnim Tor after the first eight days, they will taste better after you keep the mangoes in the brine for another 8 days to mature.